Classes will begin on the first of October, today I have an exam and then I have to arrange oh so many things before everything starts.
The day before yesterday Roberto and I went for a walk. I remembered that some years ago I had found a lot of blackberries and I thought that it would be useful to bring a little bag.
Result: we picked 950 gr (2.09 pounds) blackberries!
We decided to make a pie, had a lot of fun and had such a nice afternoon.
2 cups flour (We used whole wheat)
230 gr (8 oz) cold (!) unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
5 TBS water
- Mix the flour and the salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
- Add the water one TBS at a time until you can work the dough with your hands like a bread dough.
- Place the dough on a work surface and divide it into two balls.
- Work one dough ball at a time, roll it out until the circumference will be 3-4 cm bigger than the baking pan.
- When you'll have two discs wrap them into plastic and place in the refrigerator for 45-50 minutes.
You can now place the first disc in the baking pan. Leave the edges of the dough outside the baking pan.
500 gr (1,2 pound) blackberries
70 gr (2 1/4 oz) cornstarch
1 cup sugar
the juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsb salt
50 gr butter
- Mix the blackberries with the lemon juice and add the cornstarch, the sugar and the salt.
- Place the mixture in the folded baking pan, then add the butter cut into cubes.
- Cover with the second disc of dough
- Fold the edges of the two discs together
- Cut some vents
- Cover with a beaten egg yolk
- Place in the oven at 190 °C (375 F) for 45 minutes
- Lower at 160 °C (325 F) and let bake for other 25 minutes.
I liked the fact that it wasn't too sweet, you tasted the backberries, not only the sugar.